In politics, Bill Clinton said, “It’s the economy, stupid.” In leadership it’s the attitude, stupid. Lousy leadership begins with self-protective attitudes not lack of skills, intelligence, or talent.
- Need to know more than others.
- Can’t explore for fear of being wrong.
- Won’t ask obvious questions for fear of looking dumb.
- Need their egos stroked.
- Wonder who’s out to get them.
- Fear high performers; they need the spotlight.
- Struggle to collaborate.
- Won’t change their minds.
- Feel isolated and alone.
- Sacrifice long-term success for short-term profits.